Update: RFD Chief shares cause of Riverton house fire
The cause of the fire that claimed the lives of Todd and Cambrie Pepper on December 19th, has been determined as accidental and caused by insufficient venting of the dryer, Riverton Fire Department Chief Henri DeClercq shared today, December 23rd.
“The insufficient venting caused a buildup of lint inside the dryer where the friction and heat of the dryer eventually ignited the lint. The fire eventually grew and spread to the surrounding area and then throughout the home.”
Following this tragic event DeClercq said, “I would highly encourage everyone to take some time to inspect and clean their dryers and associated venting. This should be done on a regular basis.” As well as, inspect your smoke alarms. “Smoke alarms have a life span of 10 years. Please refer to this website for more information.”
“On behalf of the men of The Riverton Volunteer Fire Department, we offer our sincerest condolences to the family and friends of the victims.”
“We would like to give our thanks to the following agencies for their assistance during this incident: Fremont County Sheriff’s Office, FCSO Communications Center (dispatch), Fremont County Fire District Battalions 1 (Riverton) and 4 (Missouri Valley), Riverton Police Department Dispatch, Wyoming DCI, Wyoming State Fire Marshall’s Office, and AMR.”
The full release can be viewed here: Statement from RFD Chief DeClercq
A benefit is currently being organized and an account for donations has been setup for the family. County 10 will keep you updated as plans are solidified. Click here to see what has been shared with us so far.
Advertisement[adrotate group="12"] [adrotate group="12"]