The ‘R’ Recreation Mission is to strengthen our community and enrich the lives of all Riverton Residents by providing affordable and diverse recreational, physical and cultural opportunities with a focus on families, youth development and building healthy communities.
Here are the Community Education classes currently being offered at CWC:
1. The Magic of Sports Broadcasting – Ever wondered how sports broadcasters do it – the numbers, the names, the stats, the stories? This class is a look at how it’s done behind the scenes. Longtime sports broadcaster and founder of Wyopreps.com, John Gabrielsen, will go through everything it takes for a game broadcast. From the pre-game, to game time to the post game wrap up, he will show you how it’s done on levels from local high school sports, to Division 1 college, and even the pros on TV. (Registration Deadline: December 3) Register here: https://www.rrecreation.com/the.cfm
2. A.L.I.C.E. Training (Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate) – The goal of this training is to prepare community members to respond to an active shooter threat in the workplace using techniques and practices that have been demonstrated to greatly improve your odds of survival. This course is designed to teach proactive option-based survival strategies that can easily be employed in order to bridge that critical gap from the beginning of a violent event until the arrival of law enforcement. A proactive option-based response to an active shooter event is now recommended by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the U.S. Department of Education as well as numerous state and local law enforcement agencies.
Please wear comfortable loose-fitting clothing including long pants, long-sleeved shirts, long-sleeved jackets, sweaters, hoodies, and sweatshirts. No short-sleeved shirts, shorts, sandals, or open toe shoes. Please do not bring any personal defense items to this training including knives, Personal Tasers, pepper spray, or mace. Class Instructors, Chuck Carr and Gene Galitz, bring a combined 55+ years of prior law enforcement experience. (Registration Deadlines: November 14 and December 5) Register here: https://www.rrecreation.com/alice-training.cfm
3. Hunter Safety – This is the Wyoming Game and Fish certified Hunter Safety Education course. Successful completion of this course is required for all hunters born after Jan 1, 1966, and for hunters of any age before participation in the Teton Park Elk Hunt. The cost covers all materials. Hunter Safety is offered 1 time in Spring 2020 at CWC. Attendance at all class meetings and field day is required. Instructors, Tim Pierce and Wayne Buckles, hold a certification to teach this course from the Game and Fish. Parents are always welcome to accompany their child(ren). (Registration Deadline: January 24) Register here: https://www.rrecreation.com/hunter-safety.cfm
4. Google Advanced – In this interactive course, instructor Kirsten Britain will introduce you to the advanced functions that the google environment can do such as: functions in sheets, add-ons, alternative image text, your personal dictionary, editing microsoft office documents with google, and much more. Please come prepared with an @gmail.com account. (Registration Deadline: November 26) Register here: https://www.rrecreation.com/google-advanced.cfm
5. Unique Holiday Baking – Instructor Pam Rivers, Superintendent of Open Culinary Events at the Fremont County Fair for many years, will be teaching four cooking classes. Participants will prepare the following items that they can take home and share with their family and friends.
(Registration Deadline: 2 business days before each class) Register here: https://www.rrecreation.com/unique-holiday-baking.cfm
These descriptions and more information are on our website: https://www.rrecreation.com