LANDER – This is a great time of year to start thinking about the boating season, and if you start preparing now you will be ready as soon as there is open water, which is a hot time to fish too!
Here is a short checklist to get you started either independently or in consultation with a mechanic:
- Inspect the engine and fuel system. Look for worn-out belts and hoses. Check the fluids and look for leaks.
- Clean all electrical connections and make sure batteries are charged and that lights are working properly.
- Check your trailer lights and tires.
- Read your boating regulations and check that you have the proper equipment like a fire extinguisher, air horn, lights, and a throwable device.
- Check the condition of your personal flotation devices. And see that you have the proper fitting sizes for your family and guests.
- Renew the registration on your boat if it has expired.
- Check to see that all your recreation equipment and supplies are in good shape and if you plan to fish check to see when your license and conservation stamp expire.
- Finally, put your drain plug back in if you removed it at the end of the season.
– WGFD –